For the fourth year, PESA is partnering with Rice University’s Center for Civic Leadership to offer the 2019 PESA Fellowship Program, an internship program for undergraduate students. This is an opportunity for Member Companies to attract and educate future oil and gas industry professionals through a two-month internship in June and July 2019.
The program pairs Rice students with a variety of majors and interests – including engineering, public policy and more – with Member Companies to expose the students to a career path in the industry that they might not have considered.
- The PESA Fellowship Program is part of a credited course at Rice University.
- Rice University administers the program, including handling student liability.
- Rice University’s Center for Civic Leadership provides ongoing support for students and mentors.
- Company job descriptions are confidential. Only students with a network ID and Rice-approved access will be able to view job descriptions.
An integral part of the fellowship is mentorship. Companies select an experienced individual within their organization to mentor the intern. The mentor will develop the intern’s leadership skills, expose the intern to learning opportunities within the company and connect the intern to resources in the organization or community that would assist them in completing course assignments.
PROGRAM INVESTMENT & GEOGRAPHIC PLACEMENT
PESA Member Companies have a choice of seven cities to host the fellow(s). Available cities are chosen by Rice University based on local support. The Member Company provides a stipend to fund living expenses, insurance, liability and travel.
Member Company Stipends per Fellow
Houston or Austin: $2,000
Boston, San Francisco, New York or Washington, D.C.: $3,000
- November 15, 2018 – The program commitment is due. Member companies should inform PESA of their intent to participate and share a point-of-contact. The point-of-contact will receive a timeline, responsibility summary and job description guidance template.
- December 17, 2018 – Job descriptions are due to PESA.
- March 2019 – Member companies are matched with fellows by Rice University. PESA will invoice the company upon being matched with a fellow.
- March 2019 – Mentors and fellows begin communicating.
- June – July 2019 – Fellows work five-day, 40-hour weeks at member company facilities.
To participate in the program, contact Molly Determan, PESA VP Strategy & Programs.
[su_quote cite=”Meredith McCain, Investor Relations Fellow, Schlumberger, Paris”]”My internship experience at Schlumberger this summer really allowed me to explore the fast-paced and nuanced environment of the world’s largest oilfield services provider. Not only did I get to learn about the energy sector and the role the oil and gas industry plays in global economics and geopolitics; I also learned that my interests do, in fact, align with the private sector and that I could possibly foresee a future for myself in energy consulting. As a political science major, I was very uncertain how I would fit into a place like Schlumberger, but after this summer I see how a vast array of backgrounds and expertise come together to make companies complete.”[/su_quote]