In the latest episode of the Energy in Transition podcast, Baker Hughes Vice President of Energy Transition Allyson Book joins Energy Workforce & Technology Council CEO Leslie Beyer for an insightful conversation analyzing energy transition, ESG reporting, and the vital role of the energy services sector in getting to net-zero carbon emissions by 2050.
“I want to challenge the notion of energy transition, per se,” Book said during the episode. “What we’re talking about is meeting one of the biggest global challenges, which is to avoid a two-degree temperature rise. In that context, the solution is not limited to energy. It’s anything that produces an emission. To call it an energy transition is selling the entire concept too short.”
Book said that what’s being called a transition is best viewed as adding to what the energy industry has long done.
“Energy transition implies we’re going to get away from one thing and go to a new thing. In reality, we’re just going to keep adding to the mix.”Allyson Book, Baker Hughes
ESG reporting is about more than meeting a benchmarking standard, Book told Beyer.
“The most important part of what guides our performance on ESG is our corporate purpose,” she said. “To make energy cleaner and safer for people and the planet.”
She said it’s important for industry and policymakers to break from rigid positions in the discussion of the future of energy.
“The best policy comes from a dialogue where everybody has skin in the game and compromises,” Book said.
Listen and subscribe on these platforms:
- Rod Larson, President & CEO, Oceaneering, and PESA Board Chair
- Robert Drummond, President & CEO, NexTier Completion Services
- Special Election Episode with Bob Moran, Senior Managing Director, FTI Consulting
- Kyle Ramachandran, President & CFO, Solaris Oilfield Infrastructure
- Kenneth B. Medlock III, Ph.D, James A. Baker, III, and Susan G. Baker Fellow in Energy and Resource Economics at Rice University’s Baker Institute and the senior director of the Center for Energy Studies
- Gabriel Rio, President & CEO, Milestone Environmental Services
- Scott Gale, Executive Director, Halliburton Labs
- Mahesh Konduru, Chief Executive Officer, ProSep
- Tim Tarpley, SVP Government Affairs & Counsel, Energy Workforce & Technology Council
- Melissa Cougle, CFO, Frank’s International